Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Pianos and Elephants




You may be wondering what they could possibly have in common? Well, I think they basically weigh the same, take up the same amount of space, can reach similar decibels, and are not easily relocated. I have a baby grand. It was given to me by my grandparents, when they moved out of their quasi-mansion to their retirement community home. The piano was moved about six blocks from their house to my parents', where it has resided since: for about 20 years.

Now, my grandparents have long been gone, and my parents have just moved to Weaverville, CA, which is fine, but of course, they want me to get the piano out of their Sebastopol, CA home. Natürlich. (Side note: just had to take a little trip into the "void"of Internetland to find out how to get an umlaut over the u; check out: how to get foreign accents) Pretty cool. Anyhow, as I was saying, the piano. I thought the universe had provided when I was told a woman would be interested in housing the piano in Sebastopol, until we were in a more financially sound and bigger place. Turns out, she's just interested in having it fill her room. So, she contacts a piano teacher friend of hers. Piano teacher turns out to know a single mom who is interested. She has a teen daughter who's taking lessons, and already has an upright. However, she stays with dad in Marin, who doesn't have a piano, so they might be able to do some swapping. I'm thinking that the universe has again just answered my concerns. The elephant will find her home.

Elephants don't like relocating. That's what I seem to be getting. Single mom backed out, as dad had bought a piano, and despite much effort on her part to come check out my piano, as it would provide a "fuller sound" for aforementioned teen, as well as provide an added point of interest to anyone's home (since when do elephants not draw attention to guests?!). My elephant needs some serious surgery: new pads, new hammers, and a major tune job (as in, $1200 - $1500 worth of work)...not to mention moving costs. Money neither I nor single mom are willing to fork out at this juncture in our lives. And so, the elephant still seeks a home.

Maybe I'll become a circus trainer...

2 comments:

  1. Well,


    I think it would be worth the investment if it were a Steinway. We have spent the same amount on a hasselblad,

    I so miss playing the piano...

    When I move to California from Ohio, I gave my piano to a friend who had a daughter who wanted to learn. So much for Karma

    I don't think anyone is ever going to give me a piano.


    If we got rid of the futon we would have room in our apartment. I am just saying.

    www.tonymaroney.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lastima. Sure glad we have a Chickering upright. Much easier to move. Not so expensive to tune. Pity you can't find a solution. Such a pretty elefante.

    ReplyDelete